Easy Make Ahead Mushroom Gravy! – You can never have enough gravy! Wouldn’t that make a nice tattoo?
Make ahead recipes on Thanksgiving day are a gift! This easy and big flavored gravy is made with a combination of chicken and beef broth that makes the mushroom flavor go zing!
By simply browning the onions and mushrooms for a few minutes in a skillet, the flavor goes from zero to 60. Don’t salt your mushroom until they are as brown as you want them. Salt makes it harder for them to reach their full browning capacity :).
This makes about 3 cups which would be enough for about 6-8 regular people or 4 gravy lovers! Easily double or triple this to accommodate uncle Jeb who thinks it’s soup…okay, it kinda looks like soup because it’s in a soup bowl. What kind of food blogger doesn’t have a gravy boat?
Simply caramelize the mushrooms and onions and add your flour, stock and spices and you got gravy! Sitting overnight enhances the flavors even more. Then just either reheat in the microwave or on the stove top on the big day…or any day! Don’t wait for a holiday to have gravy, especially when it’s this easy! Gravy is a condiment…right?
To gravy, gravy and more gravy!
Easy Make Ahead Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms sliceded
- 1/4 cup sherry or white wine in a pinch
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock - prefer unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock - prefer unsalted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add sage, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Add salt.
Add wine, cook for about a minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in chicken and beef stock. Boil; cooking until reduced to 2 cups (about 10-12 minutes).
- Combine flour and water in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to pan; return to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until butter melts. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Cool and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days.