Fall is just about here and that means cozy food, cornbread muffins are as cozy as it gets!
These cornbread muffins are easy, only take about 30 minutes from start to finish and they are so much better than the boxed mix. Sweetened with a bit of honey in the batter, these babies will go fast!
There are plenty of side dishes that go well with soup or chili but I find that cornbread muffins give that perfect sweet and savory balance. This version is packed with cornmeal, and sweetened with a little bit of honey. The sugar in the honey helps keep the muffins moist, making this the perfect make ahead cornbread recipe.
Start by whisking the dry cornbread ingredients together, then add in the wet ingredients (but not the honey, just yet). By nature, the cornmeal in the batter will be a little lumpy- this is okay, just whisk it as well as you can but don’t overdo it. You can also use a stand mixer or a hand mixer,but I find that a manual whisk works just as great. Be careful not to over whisk!
By adding the honey as the last wet ingredient, it helps retain more of the sweetness in the cornbread muffins, and keeps the honey from becoming diluted with the other wet ingredients, providing a moist, sweet and delicious corn muffin!
I use a standard size muffin tin (12 count) and use a measuring cup of 1/2 cup to make each corn muffin. I prefer to not use a muffin liner as I like them rustic, and find them easier to eat without one.
The batter will not be completely even and that is okay- they will bake up to a full even size. By using a 1/2 cup measurement, we get tall corn muffin that cook evenly, and slightly rise over the pan for full, delicious cornbread muffins.
After they’re fully baked, let them rest for about 10 minutes or until the bottom of the muffin pan is slightly cool to the touch (putting the pan on a granite counter helps cool them faster!). I like to run a knife around the perimeter of the muffin to make sure they pop out easily.
To serve these beauties, I like to slather them with butter, and a little more honey. Ohhh man they are good! They are delicious for Thanksgiving, or for football parties, too.
I like to serve my corn muffins with soup, here’s a few ideas!
- 20 Minute White Chicken Chili
- Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoes
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- Sausage and Potato Soup
- 30 Minute Minestrone Soup
- Gnocchi Sausage and Spinach Soup
Here’s to easy and delicious muffin recipes! – Kathi and Rachel
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp butter (omit salt if using salted)
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Add wet ingredients (except honey) to same bowl and whisk for about 1 minute until combined (there may still be some lumps and that is okay!).
- Add honey and whisk lightly, just until combined.
- Add corn muffin batter (1/2 cup measurement works great) to muffin tin sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Serve & enjoy!
Leave a Reply