Crispy Fish and Chips that are baked, not fried! There is a secret to these browned crumbs…read on!
Here is my second installment on the beauty of pre-browned Panko crumbs! I posted Panko Crusted Salmon a couple weeks ago and I am still in awe over what I can do with these things!
These are crunchy and tender and I can hardly wait to make them again. I served them with french fries (the frozen variety) but next time will serve with homemade. I would love to make homemade tarter using greek yogurt as well – man is there anything you can’t do with that stuff! I’m addicted! (Can I really call this Fish and Chips if the chips are store bought? Well yes, yes I can.)
The trick to making Crispy Oven Baked Fish and Chips!
It’s all in the panko crumbs! Fish cooks quick. You can not get your panko crumbs browned in the oven fully without drying out your fish. You gotta give those crumbs a head start and it’s so easy! Simply heat a dry non stick skillet over medium high heat. Toss in the crumbs and give them a light toasting. Don’t go all dark…just a light brown. Cool and head on over to the dredging station to dip!
Mr. Laughing Spatula did the dirty dipping work. Couple glasses of chardy and that man is putty in my hands…oh the things he does for me while on a wine buzz….
These require a triple dipper – flour, egg than Panko. Set up three bowls for your work station and it goes really quickly – well it did for him. I just watched and poured…love my job!
NOTES: You are gonna get a bit messy – be sure to take a sip of your wine before you start or you will get your glass all gunky…this is the most important advice I have. Oh, and make sure your oven is preheated for this recipe, it makes a big difference.
You can see my Panko Crusted Salmon recipe hear!
To baked and not fried crispy bites!
Crispy oven baked (not fried) fish and chips! The panko crumbs are lightly toasted before dredging to give them a head start and assure your fish is super brown and crispy every time!
- 2 pounds Cod
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups pre toasted Panko crumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- *For toasted Panko Crumbs: Heat large dry non-stick skillet over medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes. Add 2 of crumbs and stir until lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately or they will continue to brown.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Slice cod into strips.
- In three separate bowls:
- add flour to one bowl,
- Beaten eggs in second bowl
- Toasted Panko Crumbs, salt and pepper to taste in third bowl.
- Coat a baking sheet with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Coat fish with flour then dip into egg and roll in the crumbs
- Place on baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes, turning once.