This recipe had me at the word ‘Italian’. I love Italian food, especially easy after work Italian food! The ingredients are simple. A jar or can of artichoke hearts and a can of diced tomatoes. Some garlic, a pinch of basil. Nestle some chicken on top and pop it in the oven!
We love anything Italian around here and this Italian Chicken Bake is no different. Chock full of artichokes, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and chicken thighs, its an easy one pan meal the whole family loves. We enjoy it served atop a bed of orzo but it is also delicious over salad or steamed cauliflower if you are going the low carb route.
How do I make an Italian Chicken Bake?
First step is to combine drained canned artichoke hearts, drained diced tomatoes (fire roasted is best), italian seasoning, and then finally add in some flour. The flour helps to absorb the liquid and create a thickened sauce that the chicken gets its flavor from.
Second Step- After combining your artichokes, tomatoes and seasoning, simply top with the uncooked chicken and a sprinkle of herbs, salt and pepper. Brush some olive oil on top of the chicken to help it brown in the oven.
Third Step- Off to the oven it goes! Once it’s baked for about 30 minutes, pull it out of the oven.
Finally- Top with mozzarella cheese, bake for another 10 minutes, and dinner is done!
Some helpful hints for this flavorful, easy dish:
- I used chicken thighs but breasts will work just great, too.
- The first time I made this, I used marinated artichokes, the second I used canned. You can go either way but I like the extra zing of the marinated artichokes. Costco sells them in a 2 pack for about $8.00.
- Drain the artichokes and tomatoes really well. Too much liquid and the artichoke tomato mixture can get soupy. I used a metal mesh strainer, it does add to the cleanup but it makes it worthwhile.
- Like some spice? Add some red chili flakes!
Other One Pan Meals Recommendations:
- One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice
- One Pan Creamy Chicken, Rice and Mushrooms
- One Pot Mediterranean Chicken
- One Pan Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms and Orzo
- One Pan Egg Roll in a Bowl
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
A simple easy combination of artichokes, tomatoes and herbs. Topped with chicken and right in the oven it goes!
- 6 chicken thighs or breasts (I used thighs If using bone-, increase cook time by 15 minutes)
- 1 8 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts - drained well
- 1 14.5 oz can roasted tomatoes - drained well
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to brush on top of chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or parmesean
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Coat a 9 x 9 baking dish with non stick spray.
In mixing bowl, combine artichokes, tomatoes, garlic, flour, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Pour into prepared pan.
Nestle chicken into mixture.
Brush chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees farenheit.
Top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with fresh basil if desired.