This recipe had me at the word ‘Italian’. I love Italian food, especially one pot, bang it out after work Italian food! The ingredients are simple. A jar or can of artichoke hearts and a can of diced tomatoes. Some garlic, a pinch of basil. Nestle some chicken on top and pop it in the oven! Now my only question is…are artichoke hearts Italian? I thought they were Greek? Somebody set me straight on this please!
Some helpful hints:
- I used chicken thighs but breasts will work just great.
- The first time I made this, I used marinated artichokes, the second I used canned. You can go either way but I like the extra zing of the marinated artichokes.
- Drain the artichokes and tomatoes really well. Too much liquid and the artichoke tomato mixture can get soupy. It’s still yummy, just soupy yummy!
Because I loved this easy recipe so much, I whipped up a Mexican Chicken Bake that I hope you will try!
A one pan easy dinner with big flavor!
- 6 chicken thighs or breasts (I used thighs If using bone-, increase cook time by 15 minutes)
- 1 8 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts - drained well
- 1 14.5 oz can roasted tomatoes - drained well
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to brush on top of chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or parmesean
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a 9 x 9 baking dish with non stick spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine artichokes, tomatoes, garlic, flour, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Nestle chicken into mixture.
- Brush chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil if desired.