Easy One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice comes together for a fast a filling dinner! Even the rice goes right into the same pot!
Beans, corn and Mexican spices round out this fast and easy meal!
How to make Mexican Chicken and Rice:
Start my browning onion, chicken and garlic in a large skillet. Remember that rice gets puffy so go big with your pan!
Then in goes the rest! Rice, spices, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn and stock. The colors are amazing!
What else can I throw in the pot?
- switch out the chicken for ground beef, chicken or turkey – (drain any excess grease before adding the remaining ingredients.)
- more veggies! – carrots, spinach and even broccoli or cauliflower !
- use more spice if you like..pinch of cayenne perhaps?
- refried beans
- crumbled up tortilla chips on top
- poblano or jalapeno for a kick!
Give this Mexican Casserole a big stir, cover and cook until rice is tender. About 20-25 minutes. (Stir once about half way through to be sure the rice isn’t sticking.)
We love leftovers and this Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole is a lunch box dream! Wrap leftovers in a tortilla or spoon over lettuce!
A few more Mexican favorites!
- Healthy Mexican Casserole – no rice less fat
- Best Mexican Baked Rice
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Southwest Stuffed Peppers
- Margarita Cupcakes! – grown up cupcakes with a kick!
Kathi and Rachel
Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1.25 ounce packaged taco sesasoning
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 3 ounce can chopped chilies
- 1 cup corn frozen, fresh or canned (drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated mexican style cheese
- 1 tomato chopped
- In large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions, chicken and garlic. Saute until chicken is brown and cooked through (165 degrees internally).
- Add rice, broth, beans, corn, diced tomatoes, chilies and taco seasoning. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until rice is tender. (stir once half way thru to be sure the rice is not sticking to pan. Add a 1/4 cup more stock if needed).
- Top with cheese and fresh tomatoes. Turn off heat and allow cheese to melt.
- Serve with a simple salad for a perfect dinner!