Seared in honey, butter and thyme- this delicious one pan meal is a family favorite. Honey Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potatoes is made all in one pan, finished off in the oven, and the perfect weeknight meal or a date night in.
This is such an easy recipe- the chicken is tender on the inside, and lightly crusted with delicious sweet honey. I love that the sweet potatoes take on the aromatics of the thyme.
How to make Honey Glazed Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
Start off by coating chicken in Italian seasoning/salt/pepper, and then sear the chicken in a mixture of honey and butter. The goal here is to sear to provide flavor- not to cook through (we will finish off in the oven). Once both sides are browned, leave the honey/butter mixture in the pan and transfer to a separate dish while we cook the sweet potatoes.
Add in a bit more butter and honey, along with some fresh thyme, and continue to sauté the sweet potatoes. Once they are coated and have a slight brown to them from the pan, scoot them to the side and add in the chicken.
Once everything is nestled nicely in the pan (make sure the chicken is not on top of each other so it cooks evenly), transfer to the oven and let it bake until the chicken is fully cooked through (165 degrees internally at it’s thickest point). About halfway through, give the sweet potatoes a toss to ensure they cook evenly.
Questions about Honey Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Do I have to use butter?
- Nope! Margarine, or olive oil for the health conscious would work good as well. Add a pinch of salt if using olive oil.
- Can I add more vegetables?
- Absolutely! Caramelized onions, brussel sprouts, green beans, broccoli or even cauliflower would be great mixed in with the sweet potatoes.
- What kind of pan should I use?
- We used and recommend you use cast iron as it is stove and oven friendly, but any stove/oven friendly pan will work. If you do not have an oven friendly pan, sear in a pan and then transfer to a casserole dish or other oven safe dishware.
- How else can I flavor this dish?
- Add 1 tbsp cinnamon to the sweet potatoes.
- Finish it off with some pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries! They give nice color and fall flavor.
- Add more herbs if you like- rosemary, or even garlic would be delicious.
Other recipes we think you’ll like:
- Honey Glazed Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice
- Honey Glazed Salmon with Orange and Ginger
- Sticky Honey and Lime Salmon
- Honey Glazed Carrots with Garlic and Thyme
Cheers to easy and delicious one pan meals! – Kathi and Rachel
A delicious and simple one pan meal the whole family loves!
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (.75-1 chicken breast per person)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 2.5 cups diced sweet potatoes (cut into 1 inch chunks)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Pat chicken dry and sprinkle both sides with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium stove/oven friendly skillet on medium high heat, combine butter and honey
Once honey/butter mixture is bubbling, add chicken and sear on both sides until brown. Remove from skillet and set aside (note- searing is only for flavor, the chicken breasts will not be cooked through).
Using residual honey/butter mixture in pan, add sweet potaotes and thyme. Mix until fully coated and sweet potatoes have a light brown crust. Move sweet potatoes to 1 side of pan and add chicken to opposide side (careful not to overcrowd chicken).
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is an internal temparture of 165 degrees at its thickest point. Serve & enjoy!