Mushroom Carbonara is a thick and rich with NO CREAM pasta dish that has tons of flavor! The most time consuming part of this recipe is boiling the water!
How to make the best and easiest Mushroom Carbonara –
Pasta – We like a traditional spaghetti pasta but linguine, fettuccine or bucatini would all work great!
Pancetta vs Bacon – this is personal preference. I like the non smokey flavor of the pancetta. It’s a belly cut of pork and has a nice amount of fat to it that isn’t too salty. If you like a bit of smokey flavor than go with the bacon. You can actually omit it entirely and still get a real good carbonara!
Are these eggs safe to eat ? They don’t seem cooked! – The water and residual heat from the pan is enough heat to cook your eggs. In fact over heating the pan will result in curdled eggs so remember to turn the heat off your pan before adding the egg mixture!
Let’s get started. This entire dish takes only about 20 minutes!
- Get that pot of water going! Takes longer to heat the water than it does to make this entire dish!
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add your pancetta or bacon if using. Cook until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside. Remove all but two tablespoons of accumulated grease from the pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the grease in the pan. Leave undisturbed for a couple minutes before turning.
- Cook until light golden brown. Add onion and garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Mix your egg and cheese, set aside.
- DON’T DRAIN THAT PASTA! THE WATER IS MAGIC IN THIS RECIPE!
- Remove 1 1/2 cups of pasta water. You may not use it all but it’s good to have enough.
- Add the pancetta or bacon back to the warm pan with the mushrooms.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the cooked drained pasta to the pan with mushrooms and pancetta.
- Add 1/2 cup pasta water and stir well.
- Add the eggs and continue to stir letting the hot pasta and hot water cook the eggs.
- As it thickens add a bit more pasta water at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve with grated parmesan and a sprinkle of fresh parsley!
If you love pasta, here are a few more easy recipes! –
- Easy Torellini Pasta – this fail proof pasta casserole will feed your crowd!
- Ground Chicken Pasta Skillet – one of the most popular pasta recipes!
- 5 Minute Alfredo! – check out this easy hack. Alfredo never had it so easy!
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese – a little veggie makes this simple recipe go boom!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pasta water - reserved from cooked pasta
- 4 ounces pancetta - diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms - quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves - minced
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese - or pecorino romano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Season with 1 tablespoon salt. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking - add egg yolks, whole eggs and 1 cup grated cheese and ground pepper to medium size bowl. Whisk until blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pancetta (or bacon) until crisp. Remove to plate and set aside. Remove all but two tablespoons grease from the pan.
- Add mushrooms to hot pan and cook stirring only a couple times until soft and lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat on the skillet. Drain pasta and add to mushroom mixture. Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water and toss. Add all of the egg mixture and continue tossing untill slightly thickend. Add more of the pasta water a little at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. (You will not use the entire 1 1/2 cups).
- Serve with remaining grated cheese and fresh parsley if desired.
Leave a Reply