There are many things I love about my soon to be son-in-law. He is kind, gentle and loves my daughter…that’s a pretty good start. But you know what really gets me? His Grandma’s jam! She makes Mason jars full of homemade jam and shares generously. Peach, strawberry, mixed berry, raspberry and the list goes on and on. I used raspberry for these little beauties but wouldn’t peach be divine?
I am still recovering from my Peanut Butter Crinkle obsession ‘issues’. I made a batch every weekend for about six weeks. My jeans are getting tight and I’ve got wedding pictures coming up. It is time to get a grip on the cookie thing…argh!
But I had all this jam staring at me and a big jar of peanut butter left over from my PB crinkle binge days, so whats a girl to do? Does the jam count as a fruit serving? These are tiny little suckers…wouldn’t three be one serving? The cookie battle rages on and I am losing!
NOTE : I highly recommend buying the raw sugar granules to roll the cookies in before baking opposed to regular granulated sugar. It gives the cookie this great crackle crunchy thing.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup raw sugar to roll cookies in you can use regular granulated sugar in a pinch
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat peanut butter and butter with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar , and beat until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low. Add dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Scoop level tablespoons of dough, and form into balls. Roll each ball in raw sugar, and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are puffy, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and make indentations in centers by pressing with the handle end of a wooden spoon. Return to oven, and bake until edges are golden, 6 to 7 minutes more. Transfer cookies to wire racks, and let cool completely.
- Microwave jam on high for about 15 seconds stirring, until loosened, Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon into each indentation.
Adopted from Martha Stewart – Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies