Who doesn’t love a good cheeseburger, or even a hearty fast food burger? We love em’, but they aren’t exactly know for being healthy. Get all the flavors of a cheeseburger that you love, but without the guilt! We combine ground beef, cheese, pickles, tomatoes, onions and a homemade zesty burger sauce to dress it with.
What is a Cheeseburger Salad?
It’s basically everything that would go on a burger, minus the bun, in salad form! It’s a great way to stick to a low carb diet but get that delicious cheeseburger flavor that you crave. Of course, if you decide you just want a cheeseburger, we recommend this recipe for stovetop burgers.
Cheeseburger Salad Ingredients
- Lettuce: I prefer iceberg. I like it rough chopped but you could use shredded iceberg for added burger effect!
- Ground Beef: Cooked and seasoned with some salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar or whichever cheese you prefer.
- Onion: I prefer red. If you want a more muted onion flavor, try green onions.
- Tomatoes: Chef’s choice. We used cherry tomatoes.
- Pickles: Dill for that classic cheeseburger flavor!
Cheeseburger Salad Dressing- but make it healthy!
Traditionally with a loaded burger it would be topped with something that resembles Big Mac Sauce. For this recipe, we’ll use the same principle, but we’re going to make a healthy version with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
- Burger Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Note: This recipe may yield a bit more or less dressing depending on how you dress your salad.
- Greek Yogurt
- Garlic Powder
I buy condiment bottles on Amazon, just type in ‘squeeze bottles’ and there are loads of different options and sizes. Place the dressing in the bottle to make it easier to dress your salad- it will keep for about 3-4 days, perfect for leftovers.
Toss your salad if you like, and thats it! I really love this salad when I crave a good burger but don’t want all of the guilt.
Want to mix it up? Here’s a few ways:
- You can use any ground meat you like. Ground chicken, or turkey!
- Add extra toppings like you would on any regular burger. Sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, even an over easy egg!
- Use a different lettuce base– romaine, kale, or spinach all work great.
- Leave the lettuce out and spoon the rest of the ingredients onto lettuce wraps or butter lettuce leaves!
- Like it spicy? Add pickled jalapeños or sriracha sauce!
If you love burgers, here’s a few more we love. Try these on a lettuce ‘bun’ to save some carbs!
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Chicken Burgers with Spinach and Feta
- Easy and Fresh Salmon Burgers
- Greek Chicken Burgers
To healthy burger dishes with or without buns! – Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Ground Beef Mixture
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 oz iceberg lettuce (chopped or shredded, chef's choice)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped pickles (We prefer dill)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
Burger Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (we use nonfat, OR you can use mayonnaise if preferred)
- 2 tbsp relish (we use sweet relish)
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- In a medium sized skillet on medium high heat, cook ground beef, breaking apart as you go. Add onion powder, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until fully cooked, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While ground meat is cooling, mix salad dressing ingredients and once fully combined set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine lettuce, cheese, onion, pickles and tomatoes and ground beef. Toss salad with dressing if desired (alternative method would be drizzling on top).
- Serve and enjoy!