Cauliflower rice where have you been all my life! I mean I have heard of it, but I really didn’t think it would taste like rice…but it does! Especially with a little help from my beloved mushrooms and pinch of thyme and feta!
A huge tasty helping of this stuff clocks in at only 85 calories a serving, and it’s a big one cup serving!
I bought a two pound bag of it at Costco. Fresh, but frozen will work fine. Just increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
The mushrooms and the thyme give it an earthy flavor and the feta? Well everyone knows feta makes everything beta!
Easy of course…I mean super easy! Chop, chop, sauté, sauté, eat eat!
First things first, the mushrooms, onions and garlic! Remember not to salt your mushrooms until they are cooked, or you might end up with rubbery ‘shrooms.
Toss in the garlic and cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower rice comes several ways.
- Buy a fresh whole cauliflower and either grate on a box grater or pulverize in your food processor.
- Store bought fresh riced cauliflower.
- Store bought frozen riced cauliflower.
After a quick sauté add your stock, a pinch of thyme then toss in a little feta.
So now that I got the hang of this cauli-rice phenomena, I’ll be working on a few new recipes using it! Veggies 4-ever!
- If you are Paleo, Whole30 or on any other eating program that restricts dairy, simply omit it. The flavor is still fabulous!
- Fresh or frozen (unthawed or thawed) works, just increase the cooking time a bit.
- Add more veggies! Carrots, broccoli, leeks are a few that come to mind.
Have a wonderful day!
Check out a few of my other quick cooking healthy recipes here!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, fresh or frozen (does not need to be thawed if frozen)
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black ground pepper
- In large skillet heat olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and onion, sauté until onions are translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cauliflower rice, salt and pepper.
- Saute until cauliflower is slightly tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add stock and thyme.
- Continue to cook until cauliflower rice is fully tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. About 5 minutes.
- Add feta and taste. More salt? pepper? thyme?.
- Garnish with additional thyme and a bit more feta if desired.