This Baked Chicken Parmesan is double breaded with a mixture of panko crumbs, breadcrumbs, and a special parmesan blend, all coated with marinara and melty parmesan. What else could you ask for?! How about that it comes together in 10 minutes, bakes in 30, and is a family pleasing favorite recipe.
I had shredded parm on hand and I blended it up in my Nutribullet. This helps it stick when you’re coating the chicken- which I should add- the double coating is what makes this recipe so special. Yes, it’s baked, but it’s actually BETTER than traditional fried chicken parmesan!
This chicken parmesan coating consists of panko crumbs, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and that beautiful parmesan. Add some salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic- and mix well. If you like it spicy, add some red pepper flakes.
Tip: I use paper plates for my coating mixture because well, I’m lazy, and the less dishes I do the happier I am. It’s a win win for everyone.
Mix your egg wash, coat the chicken. Then repeat egg wash and breadcrumb coating once more. It’s what makes this chicken parmesan so delicious! The double baked coating gives a thick exterior to the chicken, and the parmesan inside the coating is what gives it a crispy delicious coating.
Next step- add your chicken to your casserole dish. You want to add the chicken first so it gets a crispy bottom (nobody likes a soggy bottom!). Add some marinara around the chicken, top your chicken with marinara, and bake. Once almost done, top with mozzarella. That’s it! How easy is that!?
Tips to make this Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan:
- Take time to blend your parmesan for your chicken coating. It helps give a crispness to the chicken that makes a huge flavor difference.
- Use paper plates for the coating and the egg wash. It saves dishes and works just as well!
- Make sure you put your chicken breasts in your pan first, before you add your marinara, It helps keep the bottom of the chicken to not get soggy.
- Don’t have parmesan? Shredded mozzarella will work in a pinch.
- Vegetarian? Use eggplant in place of chicken.
Need other great weeknight meal ideas? Our one pan southwest chicken and rice is delicious- easy to make, perfect for the kids, and there’s usually always leftovers for lunch! We also love this Creamy One Skillet Chicken with Orzo and Mushrooms– restaurant quality dinner, super easy, and made right in your kitchen. My personal favorite? This Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice– it’s made in 1 pan in the oven (yes- together, one pan, in the oven!) and it’ll cure what ails ya.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 3.5 oz chicken breasts I use Foster Farms Fresh Organic from Costco
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan *Blended in blended to reduce texture
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried garlic to taste
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to your liking
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In separate bowl, or shallow plate, mix the egg wash mixture. Whisk well, ensuring everything is combined.
- In separate bowl or shallow plate, mix the chicken coating mixture.
- Coat chicken in egg wash, then in coating mixture. Repeat dipping in egg wash and coating again to double coat chicken.
- Place chicken in pan. Pour 1 cup of marinara sauce around the chicken. Use remaining 1 cup to coat chicken breasts. T
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature. Add mozzarella on top of chicken and allow to melt before serving.
Rose Martine says
YUMMY!!!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe! I’ve heard about your blog a couple of times and will now spend my afternoon reading 🙂