Is there anything more satisfying than biting into a delicious, warm breadstick? I think not! You’ll be shocked at how easy these are to make, and a brushing of melted garlic butter is the icing on the cake (the butter on the breadstick?), this Breadstick Recipe has ya covered!
Steps to make Homemade Breadsticks:
Homemade Breadsticks are very easy to make, you only need a few ingredients- and sometimes making bread on its own can seem daunting but alas, we have simplified it into a few easy steps!
Make dough: Combine water, sugar and yeast into a stand mixer. Give it a mix, and allow the yeast to bloom. Once bloomed, add flour and olive oil, and mix in a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
What blooming does is make sure you are using good yeast. Blooming yeast basically means allowing it to foam in a warm environment, proving you are using good yeast which will allow the bread to rise. If it doesn’t bloom, start over and try again with a new packet.
When done, place dough in greased bowl, cover with a towel, and allow to rise (double in size) for about 30-45 minutes.
Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, roll into breadsticks. Place on greased sheet pan and allow to rise again under a towel for another 20 minutes.
Once the second rise is complete, bake them for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. While they are baking, mix together the butter topping…this is what really makes these pillowy breadsticks so delicious!
Combine melted butter, parsley (fresh or dried), salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small dish. Using a basting brush, brush each fully baked breadstick with the butter mixture.
Want extra flavor on your breadsticks? You can go over them 2-3 times to add more flavor- chef’s choice. You can also add more spices to your butter mixture- smoked paprika, thyme, rosemary, lemon zest, even parmesan or feta would be delish..get creative! Serve them warm and enjoy.
If you love bread recipes, here’s a few of our favorites, along with our favorite soups to dip with!
- Focaccia Bread
- English Muffin Bread
- Savory Zucchini Cheddar Quick Bread
- Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- 30 Minute Minestrone
- Gnocchi Sausage and Spinach Soup
Cheers to carbohydrate dreams! – Kathi and Rachel
- 1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
- 1 packet yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 cups flour
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- .5 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp parsley (chopped fresh or dried)
- In bowl of a standmixer using a doughhook, combine sugar and warm water. Mix to combine. Add yeast, stir to combine. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, allowing yeast to bloom.
- Add flour and olive oil to sugar/water mixture in standmixer bowl, and mix on medium for about 2-3 minutes, until fully combined and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place dough in a separate, greased bowl with a towel to cover it. Allow to rise for 30-45 minutes, or until it has coubled in size. Meanwhile, line a large sheet pan with foil, and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Once dough has doubled in size, punch down dough, and divide into 12 pieces. Roll into about an 8-9 inch 'snake', and place on sheet pan. Repeat 12 times. Once finished, place towel over sheet pan and allow breadsticks to rise again for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove towel and place breadsticks in oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. While breadsticks are baking, combine butter topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove breadsticks from oven, and brush tops with butter mixture using a basting brush. Serve & enjoy!
Bev George says
Would I be able to use this recipe to make Stromboli ?
Kathi & Rachel says
Hi Bev – I think a better fit would be our super easy pizza dough recipe! https://laughingspatula.com/how-to-make-pizza-dough-at-home/
Bev George says
Thanks so much, great suggestion
I am using yeast in bulk for the first time. How many tsp is a packet of yeast.
Kathi & Rachel says
2 1/4 teaspoons. Hope you love them!
Thanks For Sharing this Amazing Recipe. My Family Loved It. I will be sharing this Recipe with my Friends. Hope They will like it.