Dutch Babies are a classic breakfast or brunch dish. Sometimes known as an American Popover, a Bismark, a Dutch Puff or even a Hootenany in some parts of the US, Dutch Babies are a delicious item to share with loved ones. Simple to make but impressive in stature, Dutch Babies are delicious with berries and cream, or with a simple squeeze of lemon zest for a more tart flavor.
How to make a Dutch Baby at home:
- Before we start, you must use an oven safe skillet. We recommend using a 10 inch cast iron skillet for this dish.
The key to making a perfect pan popover lies within 2 key steps. The first step, is to blend the batter- this ensures no lumps, and a perfectly smooth batter.
The second step is to pre-heat the pan in the oven for about 15 minutes, then add a tablespoon of butter to the pan and let it melt.When the smooth batter hits the warm pan, it’s then placed back in the oven, and the edges rise higher and higher as it bakes. Once removed from the oven, the edges begin to sink into itself (that is supposed to happen!) and what you’re left with is a crepe like pancake on the edges, with a thicker traditional pancake like bottom!
How to Top a Dutch Baby
You can top it however you like! My preferred method is whipped cream and fresh berries but traditionally it is usually served with powdered sugar and a lemon wedge. Not sure how to top your Dutch Puff!
- Whipped Cream and Berries
- Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries.
- Homemade whipped cream is the gold standard but canned or cool whip would work too. Creme Fraiche will knock your socks off if you want to go a fancier route, you can get it at Trader Joes.
- Maple Syrup and Butter
- Vanilla Yogurt & Honey
- Chopped Apples & Cinnamon
- PB & J! Melt some peanut butter and drizzle it with peanut butter and jam. Yum.
Looking for other Breakfast and Brunch ideas? Here’s a few more we think you will like!
- Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole
- Skillet Baked Eggs with Potatoes and Bacon
- Orange Muffins
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
Cheers to delicious breakfasts!
Dutch Baby Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter (for batter)
- 3 tbsp butter (for pan)
Toppings as desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a blender, combine ingredients (only using 1 tbsp butter, the rest of the butter is for the pan). Blend until smooth.
- Add 3 tbsp butter to a 10 inch oven proof skillet, and place in heated oven for about 5 minutes. Be cautious as pan will be hot!
- Add batter to hot pan with butter (being cautious not to mix butter and batter) and gently place into oven for about 15-20 minutes. Once puffy and golden in color, the dutch baby is done. *By nature, dutch babies fall in height once removed from oven. This is expected.
- Serve immediately with toppings of choice.