Fresh Creamed Corn in under 30 minutes! Stuffed full of fresh corn, cream and a touch of cream cheese you can throw this together in minutes. You’ll never go back to the canned stuff!
What do I need to make this homemade creamed corn:
- 6 ears of shucked corn – about 5 cups
- heavy cream
- yellow onion
- cream cheese
First remove your corn from the cob – this can be done easily by inverting a small bowl into a big bowl to keep all those kernals where you want ’em! I love this hack and use it all the time. Soups, salads etc.
Next, in a large skillet melt the butter. Add the onion and saute until soft. Add flour, mix it up a bit until a thick paste forms (a roux) and in goes the cream and milk!
Once that thickens toss in the corn and simmer until corn is soft.
Top with a bit of cream cheese for extra creaminess! Your almost done!
OPTIONAL BUT YUMMY: To add even more creaminess to this delicious Creamed Corn Recipe, we take about 1 cup of the cooked corn mixture and run it thru our blender or food processor then back in the pot!
Can I use frozen or canned corn in this recipe?
- We love the heartier texture of fresh but frozen thawed corn will work. We do not recommend canned – as it get a bit mushy.
How do I store this creamed corn? Can it be frozen?
- Store in an air tight container in the refridgerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in a skillet adding more milk if necessary to loosen it up.
- Freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in skillet.
Don’t wait until the Holidays to make this delicious family friendly side dish!
To Fresh Food…always! Clink!
Kathi and Rachel
More easy to make side dishes you will love:
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Fresh Green Bean Skillet
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Cauliflower Au Gratin
Fresh Creamed Corn Recipe
- 4 cups corn kernals fresh removed from cob or frozen thawed
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk whole or 2%
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large skillet melt butter and saute' onion until soft.
- Add flour and using a whisk combine until a paste forms (a roux).
- Add heavy cream and milk. Stir until thick and simmering. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add corn, sugar, thyme and cream cheese. Continue to cook until corn has softned. About 5 minutes.
- If desired: remove about one cup of the creamed corn and blend in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add back to the pan.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
Leave a Reply