I love a quick breakfast, & these frittata egg cups are easy, healthy, and really simple to make. They combine fresh veggies, & eggs (I use egg whites) cooked in a wonton wrapper which makes them super portable for on the go breakfast.
What is a frittata? How do you make it into a muffin?
Basically, a crustless quiche with vegetables, meats and cheeses! ‘Frittata’ is an Italian word that roughly translates to ‘fried’.We make ours in a cupcake pan with wonton wrappers to make it portable!
- Wash & prep your veggies (I used what I had readily available in my refrigerator).
- Set the veggies aside.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray, then 1 wonton wrapper, followed by another. We use 2 wonton wrappers with a small layer of of cheese between them to make them sturdy.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of chopped vegetables to each muffin, then fill with egg whites. Top with remaining shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Once baked, allow them to cool and transfer them to a platter. I like to refrigerate them in a large ziplock bag once they’ve cooled. Sometimes I wrap them individually for on the go purposes.
Egg Muffins can be made with any filling you like! Here are some ideas.
- Cheese: Cheddar, gruyere, shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, even blue cheese would be delicious.
- Vegetables: Red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green bell pepper, mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, corn, eggplant, avocado, potatoes (or frozen hash browns), onions, asparagus, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes.
- Protein: Sausage, ham, turkey, leftover rotisserie chicken, bacon.
- Herbs/Spices: Basil, garlic, parsley, cilantro, paprika, red chili flakes, oregano.
- How long do frittata muffins keep for?
- These frittata muffins keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- How do I eat egg muffins? Cold or warm?
- They are delicious either way! If you want to reheat them, place them in a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
- What other egg recipes do you recommend?
Hope you enjoy these frittata bites! – Kathi and Rachel
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup shredded cheese plus extra to top if desired
- 3.5 cups egg whites
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh corn (off cob)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non stick spray.
- Press one wonton wrapper into each of 12 cups. Place about one tablespoon grated cheese in each cup.
- Place a second wonton wrapper ontop of first wonton wrapper and grated cheese. Angle so corners are on opposite sides.
- Divide assorted veggies and add to each muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl (preferably with a spout for easy pouring), whisk egg whites, salt and pepper.
- Pour about two tablespoons of egg mixture into each cup moving it around a bit with your finger if necessary to get the egg mixture evenly spread in each cup. Fill to about 3/4 full. Top with remaining cheese if desired.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until egg cups are fully cooked through. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply