This is one of the easiest recipes I have made in some time….not just ‘Easy’, but ‘Super Easy!”. These BAKED EGG BOATS are fabulous for Easter, brunch, or just when you need to give the kids an easy on the go breakfast! Slice and go, we say.
I first saw this recipe on The Chew. I catch it during my ‘lunch hour’. I like to think of watching the show as a work related training class….love my job! I thought it was such an original recipe. That is until I searched it on Pinterest and saw it has been done and done. I am such a late bloomer. But I pressed on because frankly, I wanted to eat it!
I used two small french bread baguettes and cut a V shaped down the center. Pulled out a bit of the bread (save for homemade breadcrumbs!), leaving about a half inch. Enough so the eggs don’t soak through. Sourdough works great with these as well…I just couldn’t find the small baguettes so settled for French.
Combine your eggs, ham, cheese, chives and pour into the hollowed out french loaf….
Bake until all puffy and stuff….cool for 5 minutes, slice it up and serve!
You an easily switch out the ham for sausage and incorporate any veggies or cheese you wanted. We ate these for breakfast for a few days and they held up great in the refrigerator. It’s a great brunch recipe to make in advance. Wrap in a paper towel and reheat in the microwave for a minute (careful not to overheat so the bread doesn’t get chewy). Or wrap in foil and reheat at 325 degrees in the oven for about 15 minutes. Serve with fruit and mimosa’s and you got a pretty impressive breakfast!
If you are looking for another twist on breakfast/ brunch stuff – you might try my Eggs Benedict Casserole!
This super easy to make breakfast will be come a morning staple! Simple beat your eggs and filling ingredients and pour into a hollowed out baguette!
- 2 small baguette
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half or whole cream
- 1/2 cup ham cut into cubed
- 1/2 cup grated cheese - I used a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella but anything will work!
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onions
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cut a V shape into each baguette and hollow out - leaving about 1/2 inch border of bread (see above photo).
- In medium bowl, scramble eggs.
- Add cream, ham, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into boats - making sure each egg boat gets equal parts ham and cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until egg mixture is puffy and bread is nicely browned.
- Cool for 5 minutes - slice and eat!