I love Boursin Cheese! I love it stuffed in chicken, on crackers, on pita bread, even just a small spoonful of it is great. This DIY version of Boursin Cheese is an easy 5 minute recipe thats perfect for a snack, or a party appetizer.
While I won’t say this is a healthy recipe, it’s certainly a delicious one, and that’s all that matters for party food! I find it tastes best when you let it sit overnight to let the flavors meld together, but it can certainly be served right after mixing.
Pro Tip: I choose to mix mine with a hand mixer, but because it is a smaller batch item, I just use one of the whisks on the mixer and it works great in a regular sized bowl.
Boursin Cheese Ingredients:
- Cream Cheese: Regular block will do. If you want to lighten it up, you can use reduced fat.
- Butter: Butter helps give a silky texture to the cheese and helps keep the spreadable but flakey texture that this cheese is famous for.
- Herbs: You can use a variety of herbs/spices for your homemade Boursin cheese, I’ll list some other combos below, but for this basic recipe, this is what I used:
This herby spreadable cheese lasts for about 1 week in the fridge, I find it keeps best in a dish with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the cheese to keep it as fresh as possible. If serving at a party, line a textured bowl or mold with plastic wrap, press it in, and it will give it a nice, pretty look.
A few other ideas to flavor your homemade Boursin Cheese- use these instead of the spices/herbs directed in the recipe if you want to try something different:
- Lemon, Garlic and Parsley: Omit original recipe spices/herbs for 1 tsp lemon zest, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp fresh mixed garlic, and 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mexican: Sub original recipe herbs/spices for 1 tbsp taco seasoning, 1 tbsp lime juice, and 1 tbsp chopped cilantro.
- Rosemary & Lemon: Omit original recipe spices/herbs for 1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary, and 1 tbsp lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Greek: Omit original spices/herbs. Add 1 tbsp fresh oregano, 1 tbsp lemon zest, 1 tbsp paprika, 2 tbsp feta cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
If you are looking for more snack ideas, here’s a few of our favorites!
- Focaccia Bread (delicious with this Boursin Cheese smeared on it!)
- Easy Guacamole Recipe
- Mini Quiche in Wonton Wrappers
- Classic Naan Bread (goes great with this recipe, too)
- Smoked Salmon Pizza (spread this cheese recipe on it instead of traditional cream cheese for added flavor!)
Enjoy and as always- if you have questions or comments about this recipe, just let us know!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
To yummy party food! Yay! – Kathi and Rachel
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 4 oz stick butter (Unsalted is preferred. If using salted, omit salt from recipe)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper (Ground is preferred, coarse will work in a pinch)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dill (Dry or fresh)
- 1 tbsp parsley (fresh chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped chives (dried or freeze dried will work in a pinch)
- Combine cream cheese and butter into bowl. Mix with hand mixer (you can use a stand mixer as well).
- Add herbs/spices and continue to mix.
- Transfer to dish and serve as desired.