Crisp white wine, fresh fruit mixed with sparking water and a touch of lemonade make up this delicious Stars and Stripes Sangria that is PERFECT for the 4th of July, or any patriotic holiday!
It’s all about showing off your red white and blue on the 4th of July! This delicious, crisp and refreshing Sangria has red, white and blue fruit with apples cut into star shapes to give it that boom!
Simply start with your fave variety of apple. We used Granny Smiths- it’s just what we happened to have in the house, really- any apple would work just fine. Slice horizontally and cut with a cookie cutter. You will have some apple scraps that will make a great apple pieces for our Slow Cooker Apple Crisp!
There are tons of variations when making this Stars and Stripes Sangria!
- Strawberries in place of the raspberries.
- Add pomegranate seeds for some ‘fireworks’!
- Use Pineapple for the stars instead of apples! Watermelon, honeydew or cantaloupe for added color.
- Turn this into a red wine sangria by simply replacing the white wine with your favorite red. The flavors blend with both! If using red wine, we recommend orange juice instead of lemonade.
- We used a low sugar lemonade but a light orange juice would be delicious, as would grapefruit juice or even white cranberry juice.
- We bought our paper straws at Hobby Lobby, but you can also find them on Amazon.
Tips to make this Stars and Strips 4th of July Sparkling Sangria!
- If cutting your apple stars in advance, toss them with a tablespoon or two of fresh lemon juice so they do not brown.
- Wait to add the sparkling water until you serve. Add the sparkling water right before serving so it keeps its bubbly pop!
- Your sangria is as good as the wine you make it with. Buy one you love! We recommend something a little drier to blend well with the juice and fruit- this will keep it from being overly sweet. THIS wine guide from The Spruce Eats is great for which wines to use!
Are you planning a 4th of July get together? Need more ideas for your menu?
- You can’t go wrong with a wedge salad platter! Make this a side dish, or even a main course by adding chicken, shrimp or steak on top. Yum!
- Pressed Italian Sandwiches are gorgeous on a platter, and they pack well for a picnic. These are always a number one hit and go so fast whenever I serve them!
- Top off your 4th of July celebration with Blueberry Pie Bars; They are DELICIOUS, and very American. Serve with vanilla ice cream to really ‘wow’ the crowd.
Check out this video on how to make our delicious Stars and Stripes Sangria!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Stars and Strips Sangria
- 2 bottles white wine we like Pinto Grigio for this recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries or strawberries
- 2 apples, cut into star shapes using cooking cutter
- 1 sparkling water we like lemon flavored
- 1 cup low sugar lemonade
- cut apples into stars using cookie cutter (see video for how to cut!)
- combine apple stars, blueberries and raspberries into a pitcher. Reserve some for garnish if desired.
- add wine to pitcher, along with lemonade. add seltzer to pitcher if desired, or top each glass indiviudally with desired amount of seltzer **Reminder; if making ahead, wait to add seltzer so it maintains carbonation**