We are famous for our zucchini recipes, and these muffins are no exception! These babies are low sugar, high in flavor, and perfect for an on the go breakfast or snack. We add fresh chopped apples and cinnamon for added flavor, resulting in the most delicious and moist muffins possible.
Zucchini Muffins are healthy, easy, and full of nutrients.
The beauty of adding zucchini to baking recipes is that you’re adding texture, and moisture to baked goods. Zucchini is very mild in flavor, making it easily adaptable to many flavors in cooking, and baking recipes alike.
How to Make Muffins with Zucchini
First, start off by shredding your zucchini. I use a standard box grater on the thin grate side. For this recipe, the zucchini does not need to be drained, just shred it and set aside for the next few steps. The next step is to combine the dry ingredients, give them a whisk, and then add the wet ingredients, creating a muffin batter. The last step is to fold in the shredded zucchini, followed by chopped apples.
For this recipe, I choose to leave the skin on the apples. I find removing the skin doesn’t really matter in terms of flavor, and the skin to apples has a fair mount of fiber. Plus, who has time to skin and peel apples? Not this toddler toting mom! Speaking of toddlers…My Benny boy LOVED these muffins. I know when he likes something because in his sweet little toddler voice I hear a “hm!” as soon as he takes a bite. I wish I could capture that sound and wear it in a locket forever.
If you want to add even more flavor to your muffins, you an add raisins or walnuts too. Even chocolate chips would be great!
Add the batter to a lined muffin tin, and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
These muffins freeze great, and last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Freeze them in airtight plastic wrap, and let them thaw on the counter for about an hour before enjoying them. These muffins are great for a make ahead breakfast, and are perfect for on the go snacks.
Looking for other zucchini recipes? Here’s a few we love!
Hope you enjoy these delicious muffins as much as I do! – Rachel
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- .5 tsp baking powder
- .5 tsp baking soda
- .5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or substitute with apple sauce if desired)
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini (peel on)
- 1 cup chopped apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Prepare a 12 muffin tin with 12 muffin liners, and spray each liner with non stick spray.
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg). Whisk to combine. Add eggs & oil. Whisk again to combine.
- Fold in zucchini, and allow batter to sit for 5 minutes (the zucchini will help moisten the batter). After 5 minutes, fold in apples.
- Distribute batter evenly for 12 muffins. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a middle muffin comes out clean.
Leave a Reply