Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup! – I should say ‘light’ and creamy as this clocks in at less than 300 calories for a big one and half cup serving!
It’s fall here in Seattle and that means soup to me! Soup and casseroles. Soup, casseroles and pumpkin! Soup, casseroles, pumpkin and….okay, you get it :). Basically fall means food! Comfort food too…my favorite kind! I’m a savory gal so fall and winter are my food seasons. Spring and summer aren’t bad either…basically, I’m a four season eater!
This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup will go straight to the top of your favorite soup list!
I used store bought rotisserie chicken and a box of brown and wild rice mix that I cooked up without the seasoning packet. While your rice is cooking, you chop and sauté the veggies. The whole thing takes less than 30 minutes to throw together.
This was my first time ever cooking with kale. I have always thought it was meant to garnish a deli tray and not for consuming. And guess what…I was right! Next time I’ll use spinach or swiss chard. Kale is kinda chewy dontcha think? It holds up great in soup though. Actually the stuff would hold up to 8 hours in a slow cooker. I will leave it in the recipe but will also suggest spinach if you are not a fan of gnawing on grassy stuff. Maybe I got the wrong kinda kale? Help me become a lover of kale please!
You can see all 30 of my soup recipes HERE!
A few of my faves are:
Skinny Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato – a super quick easy soup that is full of flavor!
Beef Barley Soup! You can make this in a slow cooker or stove top!
To Chicken Soup and you do!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 5 ounce package of brown and wild rice, prepared without seasoning packet I used Near East brand
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced I used cremini
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth I like low sodium
- 4 cups chopped kale or spinach
- 6 ounces shredded chicken I used store bought rotisserie chicken
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half and half
- Prepare the rice according to package directions, leaving out the spice packet. While the rice is cooking, start on the soup!
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, cook the bacon until crisp. About 4-5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Drain all the drippings leaving one tablespoon in the pot.
- Saute onion, carrots and celery in remaining bacon drippings. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until slightly soft.
- Add thyme, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, cream, cooked chicken and kale (or spinach). Taste for seasoning. If using unsalted chicken stock you will be adding more salt and more pepper. Taste again...adjust.
- Top each serving with a teaspoon or two of the crispy bacon!