This Easy Mexican Chicken Bake is another great dump and go dinner! Chicken, black beans, chilies, bell pepper, onion and spices make up this delicious and healthy dinner!
HOW TO MAKE EASY MEXICAN CHICKEN BAKE –
We start by making a simple mixture of Mexican spices. Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and flour. The flour helps thicken up all those delicious juices from the chicken and veggies while it bakes!
Next chop up the onions and bell peppers. You can substitute poblano for the bell peppers if desired for a little extra kick.
Open up the canned diced chilies and roasted tomatoes and everything into the pan! Sprinkle with half of the spice mixture and combine, saving the other half of spices for the chicken.
You can make this dish 100 different ways! It is similar to our Pico De Gallo Chicken another healthy and easy dinner.
- substitute kidney beans for the black beans
- add one cup of corn (frozen thawed or canned and drained)
- add a jalapeno or pepper jack cheese for a kick
- use regular diced tomatoes in lieu of roasted
Final step! Dice up your chicken. Chicken breasts or thighs will work great in this recipe.
Toss the remaining spices with the chicken and spoon onto your veggie mixture.
In the oven it goes!
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Top with cheese and bake another 10. Chicken is perfectly done when a meat thermometer reaches 15 degrees.
We love to serve this Mexican Casserole with our Spanish Rice recipe!
More Mexican Casseroles we think you will love! :
Clink! Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Easy Mexican Chicken Bake
- 2 large chicken breasts – diced
- 1 cup canned black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can roasted diced tomatoes – drained well
- 1 bell pepper – any color, diced
- 1 5 ounce can diced chilies
- 1/2 cup onion – chopped
- 1 cup grated mexican style cheese
- Sliced green onion and avocado for garnish if desired
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 8 x 8 pan with non stick spray.
- In small dish combine spice mixture, set aside.
- Place tomatoes, beans, chilies, peppers, onions in baking dish. Toss with half of the spice mixture.
- Dice chicken and toss with remaining spice mixture. Top veggie mixture with chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Top with cheese and bake another 10 minutes. Check for doneness. Your chicken is perfectly cooked when it reaches 165 degrees internally.
- Top with diced green onion and avocado if desired.
- Use chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs.
- Double this recipe for a 9 x 13 pan.
- Add one cup of corn if desired.
- Refridgerate for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.