Baked Chicken Taquitos are delicious fresh out of the oven, but they’re also the perfect freezable snack! Ideal for after school, after work, or just reheated when you need an easy dinner, we love this baked version of a classic chicken taquitos.
What is a taquito? A taquito consists of a rolled tortilla, filled with meat that is traditionally deep fried, but we will bake them for this recipe.
We’ll steam corn tortillas to make them pliable, then we fill them with a chicken/taco seasoning mixture & bake them up on a sheet pan- the trick to make them crispy is to spray the tops of them with a little nonstick spray. The corn tortilla really adds to the flavor while baking them keeps them healthier. Winner winner, chicken taquito dinner!
Ingredients for Chicken Taquito Filling
- Shredded Chicken: I used shredded chicken breasts (this recipe yields PERFECT shredded chicken) but even rotisserie chicken works great too.
- Shredded Cheese: You will ALWAYS get a better melt from hand shredded- bagged shredded cheese has a coating on it to help keep it from sticking together.
- Red Onion: I like to add red onion for crunch (also, I just really love onions!) but you could also add in corn or beans if you like for added freshness.
- Salsa: I use mild and a brand called ‘Fody’ that is made for sensitive stomachs. Not sponsored, just like their stuff (I had my gallbladder removed and have to be a little careful of what I eat!).
- Fresh Diced Tomatoes: For a little added freshness I add tomatoes, but even diced poblano or jalapeño pepper would be delicious.
- Taco Seasoning: Make your own, or use store bought.
After you’ve mixed your filling, steam corn tortillas. I did this in just a regular microwave steamer- about 6 at one time, offset from each other, for about 30 seconds. You really just need the tortillas to soften up so that they can roll easier.
After the corn tortillas are still warm, add about 1/4 cup of chicken filling and roll the taquitos up.
Place them on a foil lined baking sheet, and spray them with nonstick spray- this will help them crisp up in the oven.
I will note- these are not the perfectly fried, cylindrical taquitos you might purchase from Costco. These are a little rustic, and because they are baked, they will not be a perfect circle shape. They are delicious, and much much healthier.
I like mine topped with sour cream, salsa, and avocado. A little guacamole on top would be delicious too! If you have extra, you can wrap them up individually in plastic wrap, and freeze for up to 2 moths. Reheat them by wrapping them in a paper towel and microwave them for about 30-45 seconds, or until warm throughout.
Here’s more Mexican American inspired recipes!
- Taco Pasta
- Easy Enchilada Casserole
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Chicken Taco Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Enjoy these easy to make, healthy DIY Taquitos! – Rachel
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 12 small 4-6 inch corn tortillas
Chicken Taquito Filling
- 3 cups shredded chicken (cooled)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (equivalent to one store bought packet)
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine filling ingredients until fully mixed. Set aside.
- Steam corn tortillas using microwave steamer for 30 seconds. While still warm (but cool enough to handle safely), fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of filling. Roll and place seamside down on baking tray. Repeat for 12 taquitos. Spray top of taquitos with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until corn tortilla is crispy as desired. Serve & enjoy!