Broccoli Casserole in an easy to make velvety cheese sauce. No canned soup! Fresh ingredients that come together in a flash! Broccoli, milk, cheese and a crispy panko crumb topping. In the oven and on the table in less than an hour!
This fresh and easy to make Broccoli Casserole requires no prior cooking of the broccoli and if you have a stove top to oven pan…you can make it all in the same pot! Bonus!
Ingredients in Broccoli Casserole –
- fresh broccoli
- whole milk
- gruyere cheese – sub swiss or cheddar if desired
- nutmeg (nutmeg goes well in cheese sauce but feel free to omit)
- panko crumbs
This comes together so fast you’ll wonder why you ever made it with canned cream soup. Fresh is best!
PRO TIP 1: no need to pre-cook the broccoli. It cooks up crisp tender in the cheese sauce.
PRO TIP 2: If you have a large cassserole or skillet that is stove top and oven safe, this will be a one pan side dish! And who doesnt need that?!
How to make Broccoli Casserole –
Cut your fresh broccoli into bite sized florets and set aside.
Over medium heat, melt the butter until slightly simmering. Add the flour and whisk until bubbly and smooth.
Pour in the milk and whisk until thick and creamy. Turn off the heat and add in the cheese.
Toss in the broccoli. You really need to stir this well so it gets into all the nooks and crannies of the broccoli.
Smooth it out a bit and sprinkle on the topping.
Bake for 25-35 minutes until broccoli is fork tender and topping is a light brown. Deeper the casserole dish the longer it will take to cook.
Can I use frozen broccoli in this casserole? –
- We love using fresh broccoli because it cooks up tender but if you must use frozen, thaw it first.
We used this same casserole recipe for our Cauliflower Au Gratin! A few tweaks here and there to accomodate a quicker cooking vegetable but basicaly the same. If it ain’ broke….
Here are a few more easy side dishes we think you will love!
- Skillet Green Bean Casserole – cooked on the stove top leaving room in your oven! Great for the Holidays.
- Sweet Potato Casserole – fluffy and light!
- Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole – perfect all year!
- Fresh Creamed Corn – so easy and always the hit of the party!
- Fondant Potatoes – light and airy
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
- 8 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose white flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese - or swiss or sharp cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teasapoon nutmeg - omit if preferred
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs - or regular bread crumbs or crackers
- 1/3 cup finely grated Gruyère cheese - or parmesan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- NOTE: Use a stove top to oven safe casserole or large cast iron pan if you have one to make this a one pot dish. If you don't have one, make the sauce in a sauce pan and toss broccoli together and pour into casserole dish before baking.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium high heat until simmering. Add flour and whisk until bubbly and smooth. Pour in milk and continue to whisk until smooth and thick. About 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add cheese. Whisk until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper. adjust accordingly. Add broccoli. Combine well so all the nooks and crannies of the broccoli are filled with cheese sauce. Smooth out a bit with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle on the topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the topping is nicely browned.