Easy to make and so versatile! You will love this recipe for Fresh and Easy Taco Meat. Using fresh spices, crunchy fresh vegetables and any ground meat of your choice, this recipe works for tacos, enchiladas, soups, and more. Best part? It only takes about 20 minutes.
This is a staple in our house – especially when I am eating Paleo or Whole30. I usually use ground chicken but ground turkey or beef works great too. You can hide all kinds of veggies in here. I used poblanos, red and green peppers, onions and on occasion chopped carrots and corn. Your kiddo’s will never know what hit them!
We spoon it onto chopped lettuce for taco salads, put in lettuce wraps for snacks and of course, tortillas.
To keep this recipe super clean, we use our own taco seasoning, and add it right to the meat mixture. If you are eating paleo or Whole30, make sure you check the labels on your spices so they are clean (I.E. No sugars or fillers). We combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, and if you like heat- add in some chili flakes.
Steps to making this easy Taco Meat:
- Sautee meat of your choice until fully cooked. We prefer chicken, but you could use turkey, beef, or pork.
- Be sure to drain the fat!
- Add chopped veggies to the pan, along with the taco seasoning, and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sautee away, until the vegetables are done to your liking. I prefer them with a little crunch, personally.
This packs up great for lunches as well…better make a double batch to get you through the working week!
Other tips on making perfect taco meat:
- I used 70 percent lean ground chicken opposed to all white chicken breast.
- Spices vary – once the chicken is fully cooked, make sure and taste check as you season.
- If you like spicy, add chili flakes.
- Not a fan of spicy? Reduce the amount of chili powder and replace with paprika.
- Add more vegetables if you like!
- Corn, zucchini, mushrooms, jicama are great.
Recipes to serve with Taco Meat:
- Taco Cups
- Spanish Rice
- Easy Baked Mexican Rice
- Fresh Corn and Avocado Salad
- Easy Restaurant Quality Guacamole
- Chickpea Salad
Kathi & Rachel
Fresh and Easy Taco Meat
- 1 pound ground chicken turkey or beef
- 1 poblano pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of chili pepper flakes optional
- In a large skillet, brown ground meat.
- Drain excess liquid.
- Add all chopped veggies and seasonings.
- Saute over medium heat until just crisp tender, about 3-5 minutes.