Poke Bowls are a delicious and healthy way to enjoy a fresh and nutritious lunch or dinner. You can make them with a variety of ingredients and the best part is, you can really tailor them to your liking! I like to prep loads of veggies and make these throughout the week as my work from home lunch. Follow this guide & we’ll give you loads of ideas to craft your own Homemade Poke Bowls!
The first step to crafting a homemade poke bowl is to choose a base.
Usually, rice is the base, but there are loads of options!
- White Rice
- Brown Rice
- Spring Mix
- Udon Noodles
- Chow Mein Noodles
Next step is to choose a protein. We recommend ahi, shrimp or salmon.
If you are not a fan of using raw ahi, cooked shrimp is also delicious in poke bowls. Whichever protein you choose, we like to marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, fresh ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. You could also marinate it in store bought teriyaki sauce if you are low on time.
- Ahi: Use fresh, sushi grade. We use Yellowfin Tuna purchased from Sprouts. You can also sear the ahi if you desire, which you can find instructions for here. Fresh is key. If you’ve never prepared raw fish, it can be daunting and there are some food safety precautions to keep in mind- read about them here.
- Shrimp: Cooked shrimp that has been deveined with the tails off. Chop it into pieces. I like to toss the shrimp in the marinade after it has been cooked for better flavor.
- Salmon: Prepare as desired (here’s a great basic recipe) and top your sushi bowl with it.
- Tofu: Marinated and pan cooked tofu is another great protein option for vegetarians alike. You can also air fry it so it gets a crispy exterior!
Sushi Bowls have an endless variety of toppings. Here are some suggestions to try on yours at home!
- Sesame Seeds
- Mung Beans
Give your poke bowl a squeeze of sauce, and serve! I like to make my own creamy teriyaki sauce, but yum yum sauce is one option that everyone loves (and it is usually served at most Poke restaurants!).
Creamy Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients:
- Mayonnaise (Japanese Mayonnaise would be even better!)
- Ginger (fresh grated or paste. Granulated if using a squirt bottle so it doesn’t clog)
- Garlic (granulated works best if you’re using a squirt bottle)
- Rice Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
If you love bowl style meals, here’s a few more that we love!
- Crunchy Thai Chicken Salad
- One Pan Eggroll in a Bowl
- Easy Greek Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Cheers to easy and fresh meals!
Homemade Poke Bowl
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 lb protein of choice
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
Creamy Teriyaki Sauce Topping
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Combine marinade ingredients into medium sized bowl, whisk to combine. Add protein of choice (chopped into bite sized pieces) and allow to marinate in refrigerator while preparing other ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of rice per bowl, and divide other ingredients into 4 portions, arrange bowls as desired.
- Prepare creamy teriyaki sauce and set aside.
- Divide protein of choice amongst 4 bowls. Top with creamy teriyaki sauce, serve immediately and enjoy!