A nice little change up from your regular pasta or potato salad. Served chilled, the combo of crunchy cashews and water chestnuts are addicting! And of course, easy. It’s gotta be easy or it just doesn’t show up here!
This recipe is from my Mom. She made it up years ago and we have been making it ever since. It is one of my family’s favorites! (Oh, and sorry Mom, thats your bowl too…I think I borrowed it about 15 years ago! oops! )
Start with two boxes of store bought brown and wild rice mix. (I used Farmhouse brand). Because I am always watching my waist line, (lately I’ve been watching it grow …ahem). I subbed out half the mayo for greek yogurt. I didn’t tell anybody and nobody noticed! My arteries are thanking me. I am confident you could make the entire recipe with greek yogurt but I haven’t tried it. If you do, please drop a comment!
I am taking next week off…yes, even food bloggers get a vacation. Our daughter is getting married and there is a lot of hoopla going on…I love hoopla and I don’t plan on missing a moment of it!
Enjoy your week and I’ll be back soon with stories of beautiful brides, rainbows and unicorns. We even rented some of those little blue animated birds to lift the train of her dress….they were a bit pricy, but totally worth it!
Bring on the Hoopla!
Asian Rice and Cashew Salad
- 2 5 oz boxes of Brown and Wild Rice blend
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 6 oz can water chestnuts - drained and coarse chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews - coarsely chopped hold out a few whole ones for garnish if you would like
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/3 cup Yoshida's teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste (go low the box rice already has lots of sodium)
- Prepare boxed rice mix according to package ( including seasoning packet)
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled - about two hours.
- In medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayo, dijon and Yoshida's with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Add to rice and combine.
- Toss in cashews, onions and water chestnuts and stir.
- Top with additional cashews and onions for garnish if desired.
- Store in refridgerator.