Slow cooker soups are a great way to keep weeknight meals simple, both homemade and delicious. This Slow Coker Ham and Corn Chowder is no exception! A creamy broth meets sweet corn and savory ham for a soup the whole family will love. Leftovers the next day are an added bonus!
The key to a perfect creamy slow cooker soup is evaporated milk.
Using milk or cream will curdle, evaporated milk is the perfect ingredient to giving most any slow cooker soup a creamy finish.
Ingredients needed for Ham and Corn Chowder:
- Finely chopped.
- Finely chopped.
- I use baby red potatoes and cut them into cubes but you could use any kind you prefer.
- Cubed Ham
- I like cubed ham best (easiest!), but you could also add in a ham bone and shred the meat for added flavor.
- Cream of Corn
- Cream of corn gives this soup a rich, creamy & sweet flavor.
- Canned Corn
- You can use fresh, or frozen as well.
- Evaporated Milk
- Do not substitute for milk or cream, it will curdle. Evaporated milk works great for slow cooker soups.
- Chicken Broth
- Our favorite brand is Kitchen Basics.
- I used fried but fresh would give great flavor as well.
- Fennel Seed
- I use dried, and chopped it to release more flavor, and less conspicuous.
- Granulated Garlic
- Cornstarch Slurry
- This is a mixture of cornstarch and water that you mix in to thicken the soup. This gets added about an hour before serving.
This is a great soup to set and forget. You can either cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8. This is also a great soup to make in the morning before work, and then have a nice warm bowl of when you’re ready for dinner.
There are lots of ways to modify this chowder. Add vegetables, use another type of meat, etc.
You could use leftover chicken instead of ham, sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes, or add more vegetables, zucchini in particular would be great.
If you’re looking for more great soup and slow cooker recipes, here are a few more we thing you will like.
- Easy Taco Soup
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker French Onion
- 30 Minute Minestrone
- Gnocchi Sausage Soup (our favorite!)
Cheers to easy and delicious slow cooker soups! – Kathi and Rachel
Slow Cooker Ham and Corn Chowder
- 3 cups quartered baby red potatoes
- 1 whole chopped white onion (equivalent to about 1.25 cups)
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 15 oz can cream corn
- 2 15 oz cans corn (or about 3 cups if using frozen or fresh)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 cups diced ham (fully cooked)
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chopped dried fennel seed
- 1 tsp thyme fresh or dried
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp water
- Combine all ingredients into slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8.
- 1 hour before serving, combine cornstarch slurry ingredients in small separate dish. Stir with fork to combine, ensuring no lumps are present. Add mixture to slow cooker and stir. Allow to cook & thicken for remaining hour of cooking.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply