Cauliflower rice is such a delicious vegetable to dress up- this easy and low carb Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry is chock full of vegetables and ground chicken. It’s a perfect weeknight, easy meal and works especially well if you have extra veggies on hand you need to use up!
What is caulirice?
Caulirice is cauliflower that has been grated into a fine, rice like texture. It’s a great substitute for rice, and soaks up a fair amount of flavor giving you a healthy, tasty low carb option! For this recipe, you can either make your own caulirice (use fresh, raw cauliflower on a box grater), or buy premade (fresh or frozen). I used frozen because it was what I had on hand.
Because we are using caulirice, and the majority of the ingredients in this dish are vegetables, we want to keep it from getting soggy. The first step is to sautée the cauliflower rice on its own with salt and pepper and a smidge of olive oil. Once it is soft, add in sesame oil, fresh ginger, and minced garlic, sautéing for another 2-3 minutes. Once that is done, add in chopped vegetables (red bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, celery, carrot, peas and cabbage). This is a great dish to use whatever veggies you have on hand, so be creative! Just be weary of overly watery vegetables (I.E. zucchini or egg plant).
After sautéing the vegetables, I add pre-cooked chicken (I used ground chicken for this recipe, Isernio’s is my favorite brand because it is a combination of chicken thighs and breasts, making it moist and delicious!). You could add in leftover rotisserie chicken as well, or whatever leftover meat/protein you have on hand (tofu, steak, shrimp, etc).
Once everything is warm throughout- transfer it to a bowl, and serve it up! I like to add a little bit of soy sauce on mine. If you are health conscious and need another option, check out coconut aminos for a soy sauce substitute!
Other ideas for this Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry dish:
- Add a scrambled egg! Crack an egg on the cauliflower rice when you’re sautéing it- once it’s fully cooked or close to, add in the vegetables and continue to stir. The egg makes it similar to fried rice!
- Use up whatever vegetables you have in your fridge! This is a perfect dish to clean out the fridge.
- Need more carbs to fill you up? Keep it semi healthy and use a half/half ratio of quinoa or rice (white or brown) and cauliflower rice. If you don’t feel like making a whole batch of rice, use minute rice or precooked quinoa!
- Got leftovers? Serve this inside lettuce wraps for lunch!
- Water chestnuts add a delicious crunch! Add 1 8 oz. can of drained, chopped water chestnuts.
Need other healthy & quick low carb main course recipes? Check out these other favorites!
- Baked Salmon with Lemon Dill Sauce
- One Pan Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce
- Sheet Pan Chili Lime Fajitas
Other Recipes Featuring Cauliflower:
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Creamy Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Cauliflower Rice with Mushrooms and Feta
- Crispy Pork Cutlets with Cauliflower Rice
Cheers to a healthy and delicious 2021! – Kathi and Rachel
- 2 cups caulirice fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp olive oil
- .5 tsp salt
- .5 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1.5 cups chopped cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup precooked chicken (optional)
- In a large sautee pan, sautee caulirice with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once caulirice begins to soften, add in sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Sautee for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add in all chopped vegetables, and chicken if desired, stirring to combine with caulirice. Stir continuously until vegetables are tender and onion is translucent.
- Servce and enjoy!